Friday, August 7, 2009

Ode to the Past

Blogging again after a long time. Not that I was very busy running the world or taking momentous geo-political decisions (Barrack is doing a fine job as of now). Just trying to be slightly better off than I am at present - i.e trying to earn two square meals a day and glass of beer at the end of it. A very extra-ordinary occurrence (entirley a consequence of my foolishness) has forced me to put on my thinking cap and made me introspect as regards the futility of what we call technology / development.
It so happened that the bank ATM in my neighbourhood, which so kind heartedly allows me access without discriminating despite my BPL status (and notwithstanding the meagre currency reserves I bother the bank with), one fine saturday evening decided that enough was enough. The likes of me (poor uncouth Indians from rural areas with a pittance of a bank balance masquerading as urban folks) need to be taught a lesson for wasting the Bank's time, energy and money and expecting service on top of it. What imprudence and callousness? What audacity?? So the stiff upper lip ATM unilaterally decided to gobble up my ATM card when I inserted it to further deplete my depleted reserves to enjoy the weekend.

This was just the beginning of an immensly exciting journey. Fairly shaken up by this display of feudalism from the mean machine, and suitbaly guided by the armed worthy outside the ATM , I called up the bank 's call centre (sorry - back office operations to be politcally correct). Next was a telephonic battle with the IVR (integrated voice response i guess) which asked me to punch in the card no. Apologising for my memory and stupidity, I was left to marvel at all those who remember their 16 digit ATM, Credit and debit card nos. At my failing to provide the same (as the card was in the ATM), I was asked to punch in my 12 digit bank account no with the TPIN and IPIN and a whole lot of other pins which were tremendously painful. After a lot of punching and some more punching, I was asked to speak to a customer service officer. The kind hearted worthy informed me that I should not bother him for the next 5 days within which my card would be delivered to my address.

Thank GOD for small mercies and the tremendous strides Indian banks have made in terms of efficiency of operations. I did receive my card within 5 working days. But it was blocked. Battle 2 with IVR begins to unblock the card. After a similar effort to reach the coustomer service officer, the thrill begins. Pls tell me the card no - told ( ah ah- now i have the card), pls tell me DOB- luckily I remeber it- pls tell me address- i remeber that too, pls tell me nominee of your bank account (i dont remebr - its been 6 years since I opened my bank account) - sorry we need to know this info. Why ??? pat comes the response - we dont' know whether you are the customer or the courier guy - fair enough. As an alternative, am required to give any of the unused cheque nos - frantic search for the cheque book begins. it is found in the nick of time and am saved. Must have done some real good karma in my past life.

I learnt an important lesson. The Buddha said - Desire is the root cause of mankind's problems. Chanakya says 'Overdependence on technology is the root cause of mankind's problems'. The more one tries to avoid paper, the more paper you need to maintain in situations of crisis.

This experience led me to introspect. In the good old days, we did not have ATM/Debit and credit cards. We did not have computers and cell phones. Hundreds of generations managed - and pretty well at that. Life doesn't come to a standstill wihtout technology - in fact it's more peaceful and creative in the absence of mobiles, emails etc. Incessant connectivity creates an illusion - taking us away from reality, from nature, from our loved ones and more importantly - from our inner selves. We are slowly losing a part of ourselves everyday, in according undue priority to our work, our career, our unbridled ambitions, our material pursuits and our greed.

Kids cant sleep without an AC, they get bored without computer games, they feel disconnected without internet . Can we shirk the responsibility for the void that we are creating in our future generations?? I remeber a time when we first had TV in our household when I was in class V- to watch the 1984 Los Angeles olympics. There was no computer and no internet. I had my email account after completion of masters in late 90s. I never missed the connectivity - still don't. Throughout my hostel life, i was without a mobile - so were all my batchmates. There was a single phone in the common room and students used to que up awaiting weekly phone calls from home. The conversations reflected genuine concern, love, affection and curiosity among parents and children. Due to all time accessibility of the mobile - I find that affection missing, both amongst parents as well as children. Now you have e-diwali and e-rakhi greetings. Gone are the days when the greetings would arrive long after the festival was over- thanks to the efficient Indian post. But it was worth the wait.

Like instant noodles, we have instant connectivity. Emotion and real love could not keep pace with technological advancement. Fragile relations breed insecurity leading to even more fragile egoes. Just look around your
work place - does anyone of us have true friends at workplace?? answer is NO.

Am worried - our generation can cope (28-38 yr bracket)- up with this madness as we have witnessed an era without TV, internet , AC, emails etc. What happens to the generation which is in elementary school today??? Completely over dependent on gadgets - our luxuries have become their necessisities. But it always happens with every generation - so are my fears justified ???

Wasn't the past better - it always is - isn't it.

"Every generation considers itself clever and wiser than the generation it precedes and more experienced than the generation that follows."

No comments:

Post a Comment